I've been there. 5:30 in the morning, frantic screams coming from the basement startle me from a deep slumber. I wake up confused and panicked, thinking it's Armageddon.

"Travis, get down here quick!"

I stumble down the stairs still foggy headed and dumb. I can hear the sound of running water getting louder the closer I get to the basement door. I open the door and look down to see the floor at least 3 inches deep in water. I step down further to get a closer look. The entire basement is filled with water and the water is flowing in through a window like my own in house Niagara Falls. There is literally a waterfall coming through one of the basement windows, crashing down into the 3 inches of water, spreading out to the walls then crashing back towards the center of the basement. Only to flow like white water along the Colorado River snaking its way to the drainage near the furnace on the other side of the basement.

I suspect one of the kids was tampering with the cover and it somehow got knocked
 out of place just in time for a Midwestern monsoon to dump. Regardless of the cause or the effects, it sucked.

This is an example of 'flood'. Floods are not covered by your Homeowner, Condo, or Renter Insurance. An insurance broker can assist in the purchase of Flood Insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This is also an example of a preventable loss mitigated by home maintenance. (For the renter this is technically not your fault)

In most cases, however, the issue isn't the water coming in through an open window. This issue is the sump pump couldn't work hard enough to pump the water back out, the electricity went out and the back up battery on the sump pump is dead (maintenance), the sump pump just died, or you're tied directly into the sewer lines and they backed up and came flowing into your basement. These scenarios are all covered by a simple endorsement on your Homeowner, Condo, &/or Renter Insurance. It's called Sewer/Sump Pump Overflow.

I recommend not purchasing anything less than $10,000 or more. If you're curious to know more as it relates to your personal needs feel free to contact me.

Comments

Popular Posts